Just the thought of having french toast for breakfast makes me salivate. There’s something about it that takes me back to my childhood.
When I stayed at my Aunty’s home in South Africa, she’d spoil me and my cousins with our favourite breakfast. And french toast was the recipe I requested the most.
Years later, I still loved it but didn’t make it because I didn’t know how to make a healthy version. Until today. With just a few minor changes, you can turn this indulgent breakfast into a protein-rich meal to fuel you until lunch time. No sugary cravings and no guilty feeling!
Check out the recipe below:
A Healthy French Toast with Berries Recipe
Cook time: 5 mins / Prep Time: 25 mins / Total time: 30 mins / Yields: 2 portions / Serving Size: 1 person
- 2 slices Protein bread (or 1 slice of wholemeal bread)
- ¼ cup egg whites (which can come from 3 large eggs)
- 1 Tbsp Vanilla Protein Powder (I use MyProtein Vanilla Whey Protein Powder)
- ½ tsp cinnamon
- 1 tsp coconut oil
- A handful of fresh staweberries
- Optional: Maple syrup or honey
- Begin greasing the frying pan by spraying coconut spray across the pan. Turn on the hob to medium heat.
- Crack your eggs and drop egg whites into a bowl. Add protein powder and cinnamon
- Whisk until it’s well blended
- Dip the bread into the bowl and when one side is soaked, flip it over and let the other side absorb the egg mixture
- Place bread on frying pan and cook each side for a couple of minutes (or until golden brown).
- Serve with fresh strawberries.
- If you need a sauce, try a little bit of maple syrup or honey.