When I move abroad to Germany for a couple of months, I thought it’d be exciting.
One of the most random-but-now-obvious thing I learned while living in Munich is that I love baking. Whether it’s baking marinated juicy chicken thighs, or sweet potato fries, it doesn’t matter. All I know is, no matter where I am in the world and how awesome the country is – not being able to bake sucks!
For two months during my travels, I became terribly homesick because I wasn’t been able to bake. Not only did the apartment I was staying in lack an oven, I couldn’t buy herbs and spices as they would outlive my checkout date.
Since being home, I’ve come to appreciate the oven and I love looking for baking recipes that will feed our souls. One of the most popular recipes on my last blog Joy Glow, was this “Crispy, Yummy, Succulent, Honey, Garlic Chicken Nugget” recipe with rice.
Okay so the recipe name isn’t that long, but I’m salivating over here just thinking about it.
Chungah, the creator behind Damn Delicious, shared a really amazing recipe that transforms a favourite take out meal into a healthy, easy and affordable home made meal. With no frying and only 35 minutes needed to make it, this will for sure be added to my weeknight cooking collection.
All you need to make the crispy chicken is 3 easy to find ingredients – chicken, eggs and Panko breadcrumbs (these can be found in the Asian section of your local grocery store).
Making this will honestly give me more joy than any adventure can provide. There are few things that just can’t be replaced.
For the full ingredient lists and to try it at home, see the recipe card below. Let us know what you think in the comment box below.
Honey Garlic Chicken Nuggets with Rice
Cook time: 15 mins / Prep Time: 20 mins / Total time: 35 mins / Yields: 4 portions / Serving Size: 1 person
- 300g of boneless chicken thighs, cut into small chunks
- Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper, to taste
- 2 large eggs, beaten
- 1 cup Panko (Asian breadcrumbs you can find your local grocery store)
- Brown rice (Some prefer white rice, but I always replace this with brown whenever possible)
- For the Honey-Garlic Sauce:
- 1/3 cup honey
- 2 Tablespoons soy sauce
- 1 Tablespoon Sriracha sauce
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/3 cup warm water
- 1 Tablespoon cornstarch
- For serving (optional):
- 2 green onions, thinly sliced
- 2 teaspoons sesame seeds
- Preheat oven to 120 degrees C. Lay foil over a baking dish, and lightly oil it up to prevent the chicken from sticking. (It also makes cleaning up much easier too)
- First make sure the chicken has been cut into small chunks and season the pieces evenly with salt and pepper. Once this is done, working in batches, dip your chicken chunks into eggs before coating them in Panko.
- Add chicken to prepared baking dish. Place into oven and bake until golden brown and crisp, about 15-20 minutes.
- When you have put the chicken into the oven, start boiling your brown rice.
- Now it’s time to make your sauce. In a medium saucepan over medium high heat, add honey, garlic, soy sauce and Sriracha. In a separate small bowl combine the cornstarch and 1/3 cup water. Add this separate mixture into the saucepan until thickened, about 1-2 minutes.
- Once the chicken is cooked, pour this sauce onto the chicken and gently toss so that all pieces are covered in sauce.
- Serve immediately, garnished with green onions and sesame seeds.