Lamb and Spinach Quinoa Bowl
After indulging in far too many chocolate cupcakes, my body's craving for sugar and fat has been picking up to an almost uncontrollable level. Conscious that it's harder to eat healthier when your mind is focused on Haribo's and fast food, there couldn't be a better time to start following a healthy recipe guide.
So over the past four weeks, I have been trying as many recipes as I can from Tone It Up's 8 Week Bikini Series. One of the first recipes I made was a Quinoa Spinach Bowl.
Though Tone It Up's recipe for this dish doesn't call for any meat, I've been working out a lot and totally need to increase my protein intake. This really helps with body toning. So I modified it slightly by adding spicy lamb fillet.
To my surprise, quinoa recipes like this one taste lighter and more nourishing, versatile and protein-rich than rice.
If you're yet to become a fan of quinoa and are open to trying it again, try this recipe and it could open you to a whole new world.
Lamb and Spinach Quinoa Bowl Recipe
Cook time: 20 mins / Prep Time: 5 mins / Total time: 25 mins / Yields: 4 portions / Serving Size: 1 person
- 1/4 cup of quinoa
- 3 cups of spinach
- 1 bunch of basil
- 1 clove of garlic
- 120g lamb fillet
- Juice of ½ lemon
- salt & pepper
- Wash the quinoa under cold water, before putting in a pan to cook. Boil in the pan for 20 minutes (check your pack instructions in case yours cooks in less or more time)
- Marinate the lamb fillet in a hot sauce, salt and black pepper
- Chop up the basil, pine nuts and lamb fillet, still keeping the meet separate from the basil and nuts
- Turn on the hob and drizzle a bit of olive oil on the frying pan
- Pour the meat into the pan and cook for 5 - 10 minutes
- Turn on the hob of another pan and again drizzle a bit of olive oil
- On low heat add basil, garlic, salt, pepper and pine nuts.
- Lastly, add spinach and stir until warm and soft for about 45 seconds.
- When the quinoa is cooked add to a bowl before adding the rest of the ingredients
- Mix together well
- Serve with a squeeze of lemon on top, and if desired a tiny drizzle of olive oil.