Aubergines and I haven’t gotten off to the best start.
The first time I tried to stuff and bake aubergines, a recipe called for oregano. Scrambling through my cupboard as I tried to find the herb, I wondered “hmm… would it taste better and have more benefits if I added an oregano essential oil instead?” Feeling confident and experimental, I dropped a couple of drops onto the aubergine, stuffed it with some goodies and baked away. When Ian came home from work, I excitedly set the table, eager for the first bite… which ended up being a total disaster. Our tongues began burning and I couldn’t stomach one more bite.
Since that experience I was put off. Was it the aubergines? An overdose of the super potent oregano oil? A combination of both.
Months later, I decided to try again. Except this time using completely different ingredients and taking the oregano oil out of it.
The results – a surprisingly delicious meal. Sun-dried tomatoes and feta cheese transforms what could be a purely plant-based meal into a more cheeky and cheesy healthy dinner.
Check out the recipe below:
Sun-dried tomato and feta cheese stuffed Aubergines
Cook time: 2 mins / Prep Time: 25 mins / Total time: 27 mins / Yields: 2 portions / Serving Size: 1 person
- 2 large aubergines
- 100g of feta cheese
- Sun-dried tomatoes drained of oil
- 1 tsp of basil
- 2 handfuls of rocket (arugula)
- 12 cherry tomatoes
- Balsamic vinegar
- Preheat your oven to 180°C.
- Put oil on a baking sheet and bake the aubergines for 12 – 15 minutes. The center should look slightly soft when you take it out.
- While the aubergines bake, mix together the feta cheese, sun-dried tomatoes and basil in a bowl
- Take the aubergines out of the oven and scoop out some of the flesh in the center.
- Stuff the aubergines with the mixture of feta cheese, sun-dried tomatoes and basil
- Put the aubergines back in the oven and bake for a further 10 – 12 minutes
- While the aubergines cook, cut the cherry tomatoes and begin preparing your salad with balsamic vinegar as dressing
- Serve the eggplant with the salad once its cooked