It’s been five years since I’ve had a cereal for breakfast.
Which is crazy because prior to that, cereal was my go-to thing. Well, that was until I discovered how processed they are and how much nicer it tastes to have a homemade meal for breakfast.
One of my go-to meals is smoothies. However, even though they taste good, many recipes aren’t filling nor energising enough to kick start the day. It can also a bit boring to drink breakfast every day.
So when I came across the idea of smoothie bowls, I thought perfect! While the recipe creation process is so similar to a smoothie, you can turn it into a more filling breakfast by adding more ingredients like chia seeds, almonds, berries and other fruits. This turned out to be the perfect balance of a bit of a smoothie, and a bit of natural home made cereal.
While in the midst of discovering new smoothie bowl recipes, there’s one particular recipe that has captured my heart – a protein berry smoothie bowl.
Filled with lots of anti-oxidant rich fruits and sources of protein, I find it to be the perfect way to start the day after a morning workout.However, one thing to watch out for when using fruits as a base for smoothies is that you can turn your meal into a sugar rush. To slow down the absorption of sugar into the blood, add a fatty companion. My go-to is Greek yoghurt. It’s filled with protein, probiotics and is also great to have after a workout.
This is honestly one of my favourite breakfast recipes
You can also try it for yourself by following the recipe below. Let me know how it tastes by leaving a comment below. I’d love to know your thoughts.
DELICIOUS BERRY SMOOTHIE RECIPE
Cook time: 5 mins / Prep Time: 3 mins / Total time: 8 mins / Yields: 1 portions / Serving Size: 1 person
INGREDIENTS FOR THE BLENDER
- 200ml of almond milk
- 3 handfuls of frozen currents
- 2 handfuls of frozen berries
- 1 banana
- 3 tablespoons of greek yoghurt
- Optional: Turn this into a post workout smoothie by adding protein powder. I add 60g of strawberry flavoured whey protein by MyProtein
INGREDIENTS FOR SERVING
- 5g of chia seed (roughly 1 teaspoons)
- a small handful of almonds
- a small handful of fresh or defrosted berries
- Put the ingredients for the blender in the blender
- Blend the mixture
- Once blended to the consistency you like, pour the mixture into a bowl
- First add the chia seeds
- Sprinkle almonds on top of the chia seeds
- Add your fresh or defrosted berries to the bowl