Have you heard the saying, “eat five small meals a day and you’ll boost your metabolism and no longer feel hungry?”
While I love the idea of this, I’ve never actually had time nor the desire to cook five small meals a day.
Challenge is if I don’t have a healthy snack my mind starts going wild. I crave muffins, chinese takeaway, fries and all sorts of foods that I know will sabotage all the hard work I’ve put in the gym and in the kitchen.
So what’s a solution?
Instead of making 5 small meals a day, you can prepare a snack that you can put in the fridge and will last you a few days.
One of my favourite snacks is this Bell Pepper and Hummus recipe. All I need to do is chop up some peppers, put them in a mason jar and when I’m hungry I dip them in hummus.
Here are 10 reasons why peppers and hummus make for a delicious, quick and healthy snack.
- Hummus is made from chickpeas which is high in antioxidants, helping to improve your skin and boost your immune system
- Hummus is a great dip if you have any allergies. It’s gluten-free, dairy free, nut free
- The snack can help to lower your blood sugar levels
- It’s a great substitute for processed snacks
- It’s rich in iron and can give you more energy
- It can help you to lose weight because hummus has a fair amount of monounsaturated fats which help to promote weight loss and reduce belly fat
- Bell peppers are rich in Vitamin A and C. One cup will give you more than your daily quota of Vitamin A and C
- Bell peppers are also a good source of Vitamin E, which helps to keep your skin and hair looking youthful.
- The capsaicin in bell peppers help to lower ‘bad’ cholesterol, controls diabetes, bring relief from pain and eases inflammation.
You can either have the snack with store bought hummus. Or you can make it yourself. It literally takes less than 5 minutes and you have a snack to last you three days. Amazing! Check out the recipe below.
Yummy Bell Pepper Snack
Cook time: 0 mins / Prep Time: 5 mins / Total time: 5 mins / Yields: 3 portions / Serving Size: 1 mason jar
- 400g of tinned organic chickpeas
- 1/2 lemon
- 3 tbsp. of extra virgin olive oil
- 1 clove of garlic
- 2 capsicums (bell peppers), of preferred color
- Discard the ribs and seeds from the bell peppers
- Slice the peppers into smaller slices
- Put the pieces in the mason jar
- Rinse and drain the chickpeas.
- Mince garlic cloves as finely as possible.
- Place chickpeas and garlic in food processor
- Slowly add oil as chickpeas blend and squeeze in lemon to taste, blend until totally smooth.
- 6. Place hummus in container and dip capsicum slices as desired.
HHomemade hummus should last you the entire week. You will need to cut of fresh vegetables sticks throughout the week, as they only keep fresh for about 3 days.